Monday 31 May 2010

Simonside walk.....a good day


The Sunday of the bank holiday I headed to Northumberland with Mum and Peter....the day before not being great when I discovered that someone had vandalised my car...nicking the rear wiper; kicking the towbar and damaging the drivers side wing mirror. A bit of repair with duct tape later and the car was at least driveable...

After breakfast at the Blacksmiths' - cafe in Belsay - we headed up to Simonside, a hill I knew when I lived over on the East coast but one that I had not been to in several years. The walk that was planned for me was a new one as well; skirting round the plateau to Coquet Cairn (not sure of its relevance as it does not seem to indicate much) and then up to a hill called Tosson for lunch (expertly timed to miss a heavy squall as we sheltered under some rocks..) and then up and over the Simonside plateau and back to the car.

This last section of the walk was made considerably easier by the paving stones that had been laid on the path...much as I theoretically dislike this kind of thing there was probably little choice given that one could have taken school parties up to the top of Simonside to give a realistic view of conditions on the Somme in winter the last time I was up there....

More to the point - the 9 mile walk had no after effects on either knee which is very good....

No comments:

Post a Comment