Sunday 16 May 2010

How today I found leading easier than seconding...

its probably some indicator of the mental state (or lack thereof) at the moment. Luke had hurt his elbow so I was about to go out on a bike ride when I had a quick look on the UKclimbing forum and there was a post looking for a partner to do a classic severe in the Lakes today. I made the call and to cut a long story short, Ben and I did Troutdale Pinnacle today. As classic severe's goes this is about as good as it gets; this route would get into my top 10 list of climbs I have done anywhere in the world it is that good. I led the first, third and top pitch - and can honestly say that I climbed really well. The very top move (which is the crux and has given me some trouble in the past) I flowed over...this is the second time in 4 days I have waltzed over a move that has given me some trouble in the past. However, just like on Thurs, my performance seconding was less good - the move off the slab onto the pinnacle felt weird and I climbed it using far to much arm power and not enough footwork....likewise my performance on pitch 1 of Little Cham on thurs with look was about as smooth and flowing as a drunken hippo on roller skates...

Leading does obviously heighten the mind as falling off is a decidedly less pleasant idea..but my weakness when I was climbing well was always in my mind...maybe, just maybe, that is starting to change....

No comments:

Post a Comment