Wednesday 19 August 2009

A soaking in the Lakes..

Well, a long and damp day which was also a lot of fun. Mum and Peter came over and we met up for breakfast followed by doing a bit of work in the flat.

Having got ourselves down to Haweswater we started walking up the ascent of the Nan Bield pass. This was a day that promised some interest for me; the chance to go to a valley I had not been to for many years (Kentmere) as well as checking out what is rumoured to be one the best mtb descents in the Lakes. Having had a quick bite to eat on the Nan Bield we descended and the rain started - coupled with a good breeze it made the walk interesting to say the least. The descent is very long and quite rocky in parts; not really rideable.

This is interesting as I wonder what the Garburn descent will be like - which is pretty much accepted as the best pass descent around.

Back on the walk, the rain continued incessantly but the wind dropped for the majority of the walk. Over to Sadgill and then down into Longsleddale followed by a VERY long ascent over the Gatesgarth. Descending the lower part of the Gatesgarth pass my knee started to ache quite a lot and so I was unable to ascertain how rideable this might be - the top section looks ok at least.

There are times that I wish the High Atlas trip was a walking traverse rather than cycling as I felt strong walking all day and climbed well - not sure I can say the same about the bike!!

Anyhow; looks like I might have some company in bed tonight - Cusco is definetly pining for his mum and has fallen asleep on one of Gill's bags!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment