Tuesday 28 August 2012

Checking out the route...

yesterday; depressed whilst the rain poured down in Cumbria, I decided to enrol myself in this...

http://www.sportinaction.co.uk/index.php/sportevents/duathlon-events/72-hartside-duathlon

So, today, with a funny yellow thing in the sky and the temperature at least 10 degrees hotter; I went to ride around the bike route. Quite a few people will know the descent from 2/3 of the way up the Hartside to Renwick - some of it is done (in reverse) by those doing the C2C and using the off-road approach (which is MUCH better); whilst those who do the PCW will have climbed up what I came down today. Likewise, those who've done the Cumberland Challenge, will have climbed the way I descended today.

Descent on Arjuna is not one of my strong points - especially today with a strong cross-wind and roads I don't know well. I certainly feel better prepared for the race having ridden it - and will probably ride it once more before the race at least (we'll be in Bots for 2 1/2 weeks before the race) to get the hang of some other parts of the course as well. The actual climb up the pass went pretty well - I was able to get into a nice tempo; however the section from Kirkoswald to Langwathby was not as fast as I'd have liked.

The cycle course is pretty brutal for its 21 miles - am going to have work on fitness a LOT to do the two runs and the bike - aim for this race: Don't be the lantern rouge.

No comments:

Post a Comment