Tuesday 19 April 2011

Tour of Blencathra...

well...another magical early summer day in Cumbria (and given the temperature it is early summer), and a decent nights sleep for once.

The new camera arrived at about 10.30 - super psyched to get out and use it - so by 11 Marvin was packed in the car and I was driving towards Mungrisedale. The Tour of Blencathra is a reasonable opening offering in terms of off-road mountain biking for the season - with only about 1/2 of it being off-road. Had I been a true man of course I would have parked at the Blencathra centre; thus ensuring the last part of the ride being about 1 mile of ascent which touches 25% in parts....luckily I didn't!!

I still felt pretty rough at certain parts of the ride...mountain biking (especially climbing off-road) reaches parts of the body other pursuits don't (and then inflict pain and suffering!!!). The descent from Skiddaw House to the main path round Blencathra was done quite gingerly, apart from that I rode ok actually. Hitting the road at Mosedale was quite a relief however; the downhill (mainly) run to Mungrisedale being a good way to end the ride..

What can I say about the weather - truly superb; about 20 degrees and hardly a breath of wind. I was amazed how few people I saw given that Keswick was heaving on Saturday and Sunday and even Penrith is busy...it clearly pays to get off the beaten track a bit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment