Monday 4 January 2010

Sharp Edge - what a beautiful day...


This was the view from the summit of Blencathra yesterday; in what was one of the best days I have had on the hill for a long time. The original plan was to attempt a winter ascent of Cross Fell which would have been a good point for winter training. However, this was not possible due to the road situation; negotiating the turn from Culgaith towards Skirwith saw me sliding sideways at 10mph.
Given this, I decided to attempt Blencathra due to its proximity to the road (the A66). It was clearly the only option for the majority of people as the car-parks where pretty near full. I elected to attempt Sharp Edge and set off up through Mousethwaite Comb. As can be seen from the photo, the day was looking decent...

Conditions were nearly perfect, the freezing cold meant the snow was well consolidated which meant easy walking for me. Some people ahead were intent on ski-touring whilst quite a few where headed to Sharp Edge. Upon breasting the top of the Comb I headed off on the traverse path towards Scales Tarn and Sharp Edge. I was quite lucky not to have to break trail as the broken trail made my life easier and I was able to set a decent pace. Having slightly over-indulged over the xmas period I am looking to get fit quickly with the Tibet trip and the 50mile run to do in July..

The Edge was easier than I have ever seen it (this was my fourth winter ascent; three of which were solo's), mild grade 1 at most. Conditions were so good that I was able to climb the slab headwall which is the summer finish - as opposed to the exit gully on the right that is customary in winter - and the view from the summit was amazing....check out http://www.vimeo.com/8534905 for a video of the summit.

Descent down Hawes Fell Ridge contained a couple of sections that were almost as tough as the Edge itself, whilst the rocky 20ft that is on the traverse was as icy as I have ever seen it....

More photo's can be seen at http://picasaweb.google.com/simon.bigair/BlencathraViaSharpEdge#

No comments:

Post a Comment