Monday 22 August 2011

Beinn Dearg (Inverlael)..

that is how it is known as there are lots of Beinn Deargs in Scotland..this one I have to say is probably the best..

As can be seen from the first photo, the new bike Andruil was used for this walk. The 3km ride (which was largely uphill) was actually quite hard - I needed to get the saddle height right and also get used to riding without clip pedals; I rode in in my walking boots. There was a nice fence where the estate track stops and the stalkers path begins and I left him chained to a fence. The path up Gleann na Squaib is well made and divides after a very impressive waterfall.
As can be seen it was a lovely morning - this was the view from the stalkers path up to Beinn Dearg (R) and Meall nan Ceapraichean (L), two hills I would do later in the day. At the fork in the path I headed left - up towards Eididh nan Clachan Geala. The path peters out as it approaches the Lochan under the hill - however it is only a short, steep pull onto its ridge and then the final climb to the summit. Those who have looked at the picasa folder: https://picasaweb.google.com/102361192587557786751/BeinnDeargAndTheInverlaelHills   will have noted that it is an amazing viewpoint. The journey out to Seana Bhraigh would be possible but one would need to wait for a clear day or be VERY good at navigating across peat hagged deserted wastelands...or of course do it in winter!!

From the top I dropped down to the col under Meall nan Ceapraichean and ascended steeply up the top of Ceann Garbh, before making the minimal climb to the summit. Having 2 munro's and 1 top under my belt seemed to be a good stop for lunch so I did. I was also experiencing trouble with the knee brace on my right knee. It was chafing a lot on my knee...I ended up taking it off and walking without it  - which actually went surprisingly well...we shall see.

After lunch it was a descent to the 3 way col at the head of Gleann na Squaib and Glen Lair; before heading up off the steep scree of Cona' Mheall. The ascent was not too bad, and I picked an even better line coming down and was back at the col under Beinn Dearg in about 45 mins. I decided to go up and down Beinn Dearg, to descend the stalkers path back to the gate rather than go down the long NW ridge; so it was a stiff clamber up and down before I was able to have a second lunch and toddle off down the stalkers path.

Two people who had been staying at the bunkhouse ran past me with about 1km to go until the gate...I was SO gutted that they also had bikes as I wouldn't have the pleasure of blasting past them as they ran back to the road...they were still getting ready when I arrived to collect Andruil...I think I lost them in about 100yards...7mins (easing off at the end) for the 3 km was a good whizz down...

A lovely day; shame Claire wasn't able to share it....more hills to go back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment