Monday 17 October 2011

Saturday...

sorry it's a day late - seems to be a theme of my life for recent weeks...I have felt a little 'out of sync' for a bit too long.

With that; it was lovely to see Mum on Friday - especially as Claire is away in Africa - and have a great autumnal day on High Street.

We got very lucky and squeezed the car into the main car-park and set off; very gingerly; up Rough Crag. This was my first time out for some time and my uphill speed resembled a geriatric tortoise if the truth be told. Once on the ridge the views got even better and the wind got even stronger - so strong that the last couple of hundred feet were actually quite arkward. It was easier for me than it was for mum but it was still a bit of a grind. On the actual ridge the wind was much less and we could amble to the trig point - admire the amazing view and have lunch. I was going to say that I am often lucky on High Street - although I do tend to save it for good days; or really bad ones as it's so close to Penrith.

The descent over Mardale Ill Bell, which is little more than a bump coming from High Street if the truth be told, and down to Nan Bield was nice; with a good final descent back to the car. Another good piece of news was that my knee brace for the right knee stayed in the sac; the new trekking poles making a big difference...a positive step on the way to recovery for the knee (or at least as recovered as it will get); and a lovely day.

There was even time to do a tour of teashops before we finally found one that was open (in Pooley Bridge) and allow mum to drive home in the late afternoon. She also took Marvin with her...he has gone to Newcastle for semi-retirement..

No comments:

Post a Comment